Follow these steps to do the Wim Hof breathing technique:
- Get into a comfortable position (sitting or lying down)
- Take 30-40 deep, relatively short breaths with no pause between inhale and exhale. Use your diaphragm to fill your belly and then your lungs to full capacity, breathing in through your nose or your mouth and out through your mouth.
- Stop after the last exhale (empty your lungs completely) and hold your breath.
- Hold your breath for as long as you can.
- When you feel the urge to breathe, take a deep breath and hold it for 15 seconds.
- Exhale again, emptying your lungs entirely once more.
- If desired, begin the process again for another few cycles or a maximum of 20 minutes.